:: 2000 ::
:: 2001 ::
:: 2002 ::
- The first working quantum computer is built by IBM.
- NEC unveils the ESS ( Earth Simulator System). It is the world’s fastest supercomputer.
- RIM releases the first Blackberry phone.
- The Nintendo GameCube appears.
- A massive attack against the internet’s root DNS servers is launched.
:: 2003 ::
:: 2004 ::
:: 2005 ::
:: 2006 ::
:: 2007 ::
- The Apple iPhone is released in the U.S.
- Microsoft releases Windows Vista worldwide.
- Microsoft unveils the original Surface, which was a touchscreen table.
- The Android mobile operating system is introduced.
- Gmail is officially released to the public.
:: 2008 ::
- Streaming video service Hulu is launched.
- The IBM Roadrunner is operational at Los Alamos. It’s the first petaflop capable supercomputer.
- Google releases the Chrome web browser.
- Microsoft releases Windows Server 2008.
- Github is founded.
:: 2009 ::
- Microsoft releases Windows 7.
- Palm releases webOS.
- The online payment system Bitcoin is released as open source software. It is considered one of the earliest digital currency systems.
- News of Michael Jackson’s death causes major websites to crash and Google to block all related searches for 30 minutes.
:: 2010 ::
- Apple releases the original iPad to great success.
- Chromebooks debut.
- The Cray Jaguar beats the IBM Roadrunner for fastest computer in the world, but is quickly toppled by China’s entry, the Tianhe-1A.
- Apple introduces the iPad.
- The Fujitsu K Computer in Kobe, Japan named the fastest in the world at over 8 Petaflops per second.
- Instagram is launched.
- The game changing Stuxnet worm is discovered.
- The IBM Watson supercomputer beats two human opponents on Jeopardy.
:: 2012 ::
- The Raspberry Pi is released.
- Microsoft debuts Windows 8.
- An IBM Blue Gene/Q system, the IBM Sequoia becomes the fastest supercomputer.
- Pinterest is launched.
:: 2013 ::
- The Cryptolocker virus is discovered.
- Microsoft reveals the Xbox One and releases Windows 8.1.
- Internet video media app Vine is launched.
:: 2014 ::
- The Heartbleed bug is discovered.
- Sony Corporation suffers one of the largest hacks in history.
- Microsoft releases the source code for the original versions of MS-DOS and Word.
:: 2015 ::
- Windows 10 is released.
- Apple releases the Apple Watch.
- The Surface Book is introduced.
:: 2016 ::
- The U.S. government attempts to force Apple to create a version of IOS that circumvents security.